College Football is Here!!

Happy holidays to all my college fans out there. The best time of year is here! Unfortunately for this first post I won't be talking about my choice of wine or outfit for this game day because I've been sick. No fun! So just imagine me curled up on the couch with a bottle of DayQuil. Anyways, yesterday, September 2nd, was kickoff day for NCAA teams across the nation. The only games I truly cared about where my team, the Florida State Seminoles and our rival, the Florida Gators.

The match ups this week were epic. But after watching the games I wonder if it was a good move on the NCAA's part, but we will get back to that.

Florida took a loss to Michigan, 33-17. The Gator's defense dominated the first half with two pick-six's (if you are unfamiliar with the term it just means when a team catches an interception and then makes a touchdown) and a 3 point field goal, that's 17 points on the board vs Michigan's 13. Unfortunately, they weren't able to keep the momentum in the second half, allowing Michigan to score another 20 points and win the game.

Now let's get to the MAIN event! Florida State vs Alabama at the brand new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in none other than Atlanta, Ga. This was hands down the most anticipated match up of the year and boy, did both teams deliver in the first half. Sick me was on the edge of my couch watching both defenses absolutely not allow movement of the ball. After keeping pressure on Bama they went for the first field goal of the season and MISSED! Then FSU scored then Bama scored a field goal and then a touchdown and then all of a sudden it was half time. OMG! (Excuse my run-on sentences, I just get super excited)

Unfortunately, the second half wasn't so good to my Seminoles. Special teams mistakes allowed Bama to outscore us. The most devastating mistake of all was our offensive line's neglect to protect our QB in the pocket. Deondre Francois has been known to take hit after hit and get right back up, because our o-line wasn't protecting him last season either. He is the toughest quarterback I've seen in a very long time. But tonight he couldn't get back up. After the pile unscrambled, Francois stayed down on the field clenching his left knee with looks of pain on his face. He was carried off the field and later carted from the sidelines to the locker rooms. "THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING" were the only words that I could vocalize. It was the 4th quarter and I knew the game would end with us losing 24-7... but what about the rest of the season? We need him!!

So, this leaves me wondering: How does the NCAA feel about putting these big matchups at the beginning of the season? Teams basically have no other choice but to put their strongest players in, risking injuries at such an early point in the season.

Prayers to Francois as we wait on the official injury update.

Since I don't have a wine of the game I will give you player of the game: Derwin James of Florida State. You played an amazing defensive game. I am happy you are healthy and back in action!
image from google

Comments

See What's Happening On Twitter